Psalm 143:8 “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.”
Mornings set the tone for our day.
Many of us (myself included) struggle with mornings; however having a good start to your day can make all the difference. Routines not only create consistency, but they also help keep you grounded and calm. Research has shown that having daily routines reduces stress, improves relationships, and helps you cope with change.
5 tips for a mindful morning:
- Pray & Meditate on Scripture. Research shows that time spent in spiritual practices reduces stress and anxiety while producing a sense of calm and peace. This time allows us to grow closer with the Lord, hear his direction and change our perspective.
- Identify what you are grateful for. There is a strong correlation between gratefulness and happiness. By focusing on what you are thankful for, you see abundant blessings in your life, experience positive emotions and are better able to deal with difficulties that may arise. Gratefulness is also associated with improved physical health and improvement in relationships.
- Move/stretch your body. Regular exercise releases endorphins and serotonin (feel good chemicals in our bodies) that have been shown to improve mood. Research shows that regular movement reduces depression, anxiety and stress and improves overall sleep and memory.
- Fuel and hydrate your body for brain health. Did you know that the brain is made up of about 73% water? This means that dehydration can affect our functioning and mood. In addition to proper hydration, research shows that eating non-processed whole foods keep our brains and bodies running properly.
- Go outside and get some fresh air. Exposure to sunlight increases natural vitamin D and releases serotonin in our bodies, both of which improve mood. Research shows that regular exposure to nature reduces stress, anxiety and depression while improving concentration, memory and physical health.
Take a moment to pause and reflect on your morning routine. Ask yourself how you might begin to make small changes by implementing these action steps. If you’re looking for more direction on how to implement a mindful morning routine, reach out to Graceful Balance today!